I turn the 3-0 tomorrow, and I have some great, some terrible, some blah, and some ridiculous tales from my 20s. I look back fondly, even at the bad stuff, because I learned and grew. I look forward to being eternally 29 on paper, 5+ years younger than my age visually, and achieving wisdom beyond my years. A girl can dream!
So obviously, I enjoyed this true and mega-appropriate post from useyourindoorvoice :
In fact, being in your 20s kind of sucks. Your 20s are not all that bad - no decade is full of terribleness but the truth of the matter is that your 20s are your transition years and if you’re anything like me then being in transition is kind of the worst.
In your 20s you are rarely standing on solid ground because it’s always shifting beneath you. There is something generally discomforting about your 20s, the wait and the work.
- You don’t have your dream job yet because you’re working your way up to it. Laying the foundation for a successful future.
- You aren’t making the most money - again, laying the foundation for bigger and better things.
- You’re likely not settled in terms of family - things might be getting started or maybe they’re way off in the future.
- You’re probably not in the house you’re going to live in for the rest of your life, if you are, then kudos to you, but recent stats suggest that most of us are still in apartments, some of us are still living at home, and the lucky ones are settling into the aptly named ‘starter homes’.
- You don’t really know where your going to be in 5 years. The whole 5 year plan is a farce, so much can happen in the next 5 years how can you really plan on where you want to be? If you make goals for the next 5 years make sure they’re general - let yourself be open to all the possibilities that may come along. My 5 year plan - in 5 years I want to be happy and healthy.
Now I’m not saying to totally wallow in the tumultuous chaos that is your 20s, enjoy it, work on that foundation, and roll with the punches. There will be punches but there’s also going to be new adventures and experiences. And, if like me, you yearn to have some sort of solidarity or just hate the idea of being in life limbo for a decade just remember, it will get better and more solid and the best way to make time fly is to enjoy yourself now.